Archive for the ‘Speaking’ Category

My TEDx Talk on the Olympic Mindset

Monday, May 24th, 2021

Most people struggle with carrying a positive mindset. There is a strong pull to focus on negative things which can be overwhelming. Quite frankly, a negative mindset is down right debilitating. It sucks your dreams, goals and aspirations right out of you…​ I did a TEDx Talk on Understanding the Olympic Mindset to help win the mindset battle. It’s a relief to know there are easy and practical steps to protect and strengthen our mindset.

Read More

How to Speak Live in a Pandemic

Sunday, February 14th, 2021

I spoke at my first LIVE event since the pandemic began and it was amazing! The extrovert in me was thrilled to be around human beings again and it was glorious to be back on stage. There was a coordinated effort by everyone involved (event planners, conference center staff, attendees, etc.) to host a safe and successful in-person event! Here is how it worked so you too can have the confidence (and plan) to get back to live/in-person events A.S.A.P. 1. The attendees had the ability to attend in-person or virtually. The event was originally scheduled in late March, but we all know what happened… We tentatively re-scheduled for June and had to move it again to August 21, 2020. This was the 29th year for the NLF so they had good data on expected attendance. Pre-covid, the estimated attendance was going to be around 175 people. On our event day, we had roughly 120 people (70%) attend in-person. The remaining 30% attended virtually. 2. Tables of four instead of tables of eight. The circular tables that decorate conference rooms (you know what I’m talking about) traditionally seat eight people. On our event day, they cut it in half. Four people at a table instead of eight. The seating was 12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock. The elbow room was great and it made life easier for the conference center staff to bus each table. 3. Masks were required, until… Everyone had to wear a mask until they took their seat at their table. If you had to get up to go to the restroom, take a call outside, etc. you had to put your mask back on. Some people chose to put their masks back on after eating. From the stage, I would say 25% of…

Read More

How To Book The Right Speaker?

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017

Use this 3-point bulletproof check list to book the right speaker, every time! I understand the challenge of finding the right speaker. We have all seen media clip bloopers, or been a part of an audience where the speaker just isn’t able to articulate their message. The audiences’ eyes are glazing over and heads begin nodding off to sleep. Texting, scanning emails and playing games on mobile devices are popular past times when the speaker cannot connect. Not only does the speaker notice the lack of audience engagement, you notice it. And here’s the kicker…you were the one in charge of booking the right speaker! Let’s be honest, every speaker is on their best behavior during a speaker evaluation. Just about every speaker is going to communicate they are the right fit and ready to impact your audience. While confidence is good to hear, you need to make sure you are hitting a home run and not a bunt with your speaker selection. A 3-point bulletproof check list to safeguard your speaker selection. Follow closely. 1. CLIENT LIST First things first: check the speaker’s client list. Yes, even before watching any video of the speaker. This is HUGE, which is why it’s check point number one. The speaking industry is very competitive. Almost as competitive as professional sports (maybe even more in some regards). You have a free and valuable tool staring you in the face when looking at a speaker’s client list. To whom have they spoken? That is the question that should be at the front of your brain. By taking a deep dive into a speaker’s client list, you will see quickly the caliber of speaker you are working with on the other end. The client list gives you the ability to lean-in on another company’s vetting system of the same speaker you are evaluating. Please take advantage of that. For example, a…

Read More

View Full Site